5 Healthy Foods I Always Keep At Home
I always say that the trick to staying healthy is to have quick, easy, delicious options at home that when hunger calls, they will answer the phone (lol!) I want to share with you 5 foods I always keep at home and how they keep my diet on track while filling up my tummy!
1) Fruit - Ok I know this isn't just ONE food but don't make me choose between all of the fruits I love! Here is what I typically keep at home: Berries, Grapes, Mangos, Cherries, and Apples. You will notice all of these fruits are hydrating fruits and contain water. Here is why: When hunger strikes, it could actually be dehydration. Fruit is super hydrating (and healthy) and can kill two birds with one stone. I even love to have fruit FIRST thing in the morning because it instantly hydrates (in my opinion better than water) and keeps you full for longer. Fruit is such an excellent source of vitamins and should always be readily accessible for you to eat!
2) Hard Boiled Eggs - These are my in-between meal hunger satisfiers and are also packed with protein! They are super filling and delicious and can be such a great on-the-go snack. I also love that it is a low-carb option and will give you energy and not typically make you bloated. The best advice I can give is to make a huge batch at the beginning of the week because they are so easy to make! Here is a great recipe to make them here or use a hard boiled egg cooker!
3) Pre-Washed Greens - I always keep a fresh package of greens in my refrigerator. On the go packages of different greens are great for a quick salad or a crunchy and light snack! My go-to greens right now are OrganicGirl Rebel Greens for 2 reasons: 1) all of OrganicGirl products are washed 3 times and are ready to eat anytime and 2) Their new Rebel Greens are made with baby Bok Choy which I LOVE and tastes amazing in salads, smoothies (just use that fruit on hand!) and only takes 3 minutes to cook! You can get a $1 coupon off by clicking here!
4) Avocados - Avocados are a lifesaver for me when I am hungry/hangry and want something filling and delicious. There are so many things you can make with them! My favorite is to cut up Avocados, Tomatoes, and Cucumbers add a little bit of E.V.O.O and lemon! I used to be so intimidated to buy avocados because I didn't know how to cut them up. It is so easy and you can click here to read how to do it! Avocados are always a great choice!
5) Almonds - Sometimes I am truly just craving a crunchy food and need to get my fix. I always keep Almonds in the pantry because they are a nutritious healthy option and will keep me from snacking on a whole bag of chips! Fun Tip: If I know I am going out to eat, I love to have a few almonds before I go to keep me reaching for the bread basket or ordering something super unhealthy. I think Almonds are a great way to curb unhealthy cravings because of they are filling and have such a great texture!
What foods do you keep at home? Are any of ours the same?? Share with me in the comments below! Xo Melis